- The Going the Extra Mile (GEM) Project
- Affordable Rural Housing
- Community Buildings
- Community-Led Planning
- Emergency Planning
- Funding Advice
- GRCC Village of the Year
- Localism and Community Rights
- Neighbourhood Development Plans
- Older people - InTouch
- Organisation and Project Support
- Parish Plan Database
- Parent Champions
- Befriending Services
- Road Safety
- Village and Community Agents
- The Parent & Community Support Service (PCSS) project
- VCS Support - Cheltenham
We all want to give our children the best possible start in life.
Free Early Years Education and Childcare opportunities are a great way of making sure they get it. What's even better is that the government has made 15 hours free education and child care available for some 2-year-olds as part of their 'Achieving 2-Year-Olds' initiative.
A lot of parents aren't aware of the support on offer or where to get free childcare in their area, so Gloucestershire County Council has commissioned the Parent Champion Project from GRCC, working in partnership with Barnardos, 4Children and The Family and Childcare Trust, to make it much easier to access that support.
The Parent Champion project is now in its third year and is expanding, so Parent Champions will also have the opportunity to work with Adult Education and Health.
- Are volunteers, trained by GRCC to give you all the information you need about the funding process, local childcare services, and early years education, as well as signposting you to other services, such as Adult Education and Health
- Are trusted local people, who have been checked by the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) and know the communities they are supporting
- Are parents or grandparents themselves, understand all the challenges parents face and may have gone through the same process of finding childcare and early education
- Offer informal but reliable advice and support about how to check your child's eligibility for the 'Achieving 2-Year-Olds' provision and what settings are available in your area
- Will talk to you at Children's Centres, toddler groups, libraries and supermarkets and are happy to visit childcare facilities with you
Just call Paula Cawte on 01452 528491 or 07913 263307 for more information.
Could you be a Parent Champion?
We are looking for parents or grandparents to volunteer by supporting and signposting parents to services including Adult Education and Health.
- Are you good at talking and listening to other parents?
- Do you have at least one hour a week to spare to help us?
- Are you interested in becoming a volunteer?
- Do you have good communication skills and feel confident approaching and speaking with others?
- Can you get along with other people and understand their world?
If you're interested in becoming a volunteer, keep reading.
We'll ask you to:
- Talk to parents and carers about the exciting opportunities with Adult Education, as well as how parents can access the training they may need
- Offer support to families to overcome any barriers stopping them from using free education and childcare
- Tell families about local activities in their community
- Support parents to take their children to an early years childcare setting
- Talk to parents at activity groups in children's centres and other places in the community
- Training to become a Parent Champion, including up to date training on Mental Health First Aid and Making Every Contact Count (MECC)
- A certificate to show that you've successfully completed your training
- Support through regular monthly meetings, to share experiences with other Parent Champions, gain new and up to date training and to discuss next steps with the Project Coordinator
- Supported childcare, where possible, and expenses paid
- The opportunity to receive a reference for the work you have done within the project
Join the team!
Contact Paula Cawte at GRCC on 01452 528491/07913 263307, or email email@example.com.